Saturday, January 16, 2010

rockbox report: sandisk sansa e260


Got my hands on the e260, put it in normal USB mode (MSC "Mass Storage") and plugged it into my linux box.

Ran the installer (requires sudo or root access): it found the device. Pressed the Install Bootloader button (only necessary the first time) then the Install Rockbox button. I looked around and installed some themes while I was at it.

It is not an exaggeration to say from the time I opened the box to the time it booted up into Rockbox was less than 5 mins. Probably less than 4 mins. First track played? Eno's Music for Airports, Track 1, which I bought off Amazon in 2009.

Rockbox makes the stock firmware look like a child's plaything. Rockbox puts the user in control. I recommend rockboxing your player if it's in the list of supported devices.

No comments:

Post a Comment