Thursday, November 26, 2009

Thankful

I am thankful for many things this year. I'm going to share them as a reminder to myself and as an antidote to my earlier post.
  • I am thankful for the companionship of my wife. When one finds a worthy wife, her value is far beyond pearls. Her husband, entrusting his heart to her, has an unfailing prize. She brings him good, and not evil, all the days of her life. Proverbs 31:10-12
  • I am thankful that I am employed, however minimally
  • I am thankful to have a house (and, by extension, to be making the mortgage; see employment entry above)
  • I am thankful that my health has been generally good.
  • I am thankful for the VA Hospital for those times when I am sick.
  • I am thankful that my 12-yo old car is holding together
  • I am thankful that I get to work with some very talented, caring, professional teachers in RISD. There are amazing teachers, and the crop of 1st-year teachers I have met are motivated and resourceful.
  • I am thankful that I get to work with some exceptional students. There are kids out there that will reaffirm your hope in the future of humanity.
And some smaller things that might seem trivial but contribute to quality of life:
  • I am thankful that tomatoes are still growing in the garden.
  • I am thankful for the dog that makes me stop and smile
  • I am thankful that my dorky hobbies are sunk costs at this point and don't require any money (again, see above)
  • I am thankful that some of those dorky hobbies are actually useful during periods of economic stress.
  • I am thankful for the public discussion started by people like Nathan, Ed, Destiny, David, et al. I updated the layout today to include more explicit links to those blogs.
It's time to get serious about turkey carving in the other room, so I need to go. I hope everyone has a good day.

No comments:

Post a Comment