Friday, April 2, 2010

Denouncement. Subset == substitute teachers

I've been thinking about something for a while. In the wake of terrorism by Muslim extremists (9/11 foremost) I and others encouraged mainstream Muslims to denounce the actions of the nutjob extremists.

I still hold this position. And I need to lead by example here, rather than asking someone else to do something I wouldn't do. So here goes.

I am currently a substitute teacher. So was this miscreant. Because we have the same job I will publically denounce his inappropriate action[s]. I won't dwell on the ethical or moral problems with his behaviour, since those are well-understood by most folks.

I will take a moment to point out that from a teaching point of view inappropriate relationships are destructive and counterproductive to the task at hand. Teaching is to no small degree a function of trust, a willingness to follow an adult's interpersonal and academic leadership. A kid needs to believe that s/he can take appropriate academic risk and the teacher will be there as a safety net and a guide. Anything that compromises that healthy teacher-student relationship is Bad.

Teachers, keep your relationships with the students professional and appropriate. School is for teaching, not for dating.

No comments:

Post a Comment