Thursday, December 9, 2010

from an actual job posting

Applicants must check your e-mail randomly for an assessment sent to you from [company]. The assessment will need to be completed as soon as possible in order to proceed to the next step.


Really? That's not a good sign.

Reminds me of an online test I took for a well-known telco with offices in Frisco. It was 40mins of massive multitasking. For example, do this math word problem while we barrage you with IMs and emails that scroll by. Oh, and you have to be able to recall the content of the IM/email minutes later.

Translation: we have a totally f&$%ed up work environment; wouldn't you like to work here?

Now, you'd think that a beggar couldn't be a chooser. But I've taken enough messed up jobs in my life to know a bad one when I see it.

1 comment:

  1. How exactly do you check email randomly? I mean, doesn't the actual act of checking mail constitute a willful, orderly decision?

    From the Oxford English Dictionary on 'randomness":
    "Having no definite aim or purpose; not sent or guided in a particular direction; made, done, occurring, etc., without method or conscious choice; haphazard."

    I believe you are right, the posters of that job do not actually wish to hire anyone... Not that I would want to work for anyone who could have written that,

    ReplyDelete