Friday, January 8, 2010

redbirds


Last week a little flock of redbirds landed in our water fountain. I assume they are some kind of finch; I'm guessing the house finch given the absolute lack of crest, the rounded upper bill, and the longer tail.

Just before the freeze hit I made sure the fountain was topped off; it leaks a bit and needs a fill every few weeks. There were many squirrels and birds drinking out of it today so it may be the only running/unfrozen water in the immediate area.
This terrible pic was taken through my kitchen window with a regular point/shoot digicam so it's a wonder it came out at all. There are 4 birds in this pic. At the time I went for the cam there were 8 of them splashing around at the same time. I'd only seen onesy-twosies before.

No comments:

Post a Comment